Homework elicits a lot of arguments on whether it is necessary and contributes to a student’s performance. It further has negative stereotypes among students on what it takes to complete one, especially on the time and energy fronts. However, the right administration of homework can be useful to a student in the immediate and long term development besides boosting and reflecting in the school’s performance.
Homework’s Importance in Boosting the Connection Between Home and School
Homework is a useful tool to learn about the student’s family and create a strong connection where the parents can also learn about the student’s daily learning environment. To effectively utilize this tool, can consider two key projects;
- Family Page Assignment Project. It is an excellent way to get acquainted with a student’s family. You send parents a project letter concerning the family page with attached instructions on how to go about it with their kids. They have to decorate a large paper piece with intriguing facts concerning their family in whichever way they feel like doing the work. You can send them an oversized construction piece of paper rather than a huge poster board then encourage the students to present their work in class.
- Baby Name Assignment Project. The project entails the teacher sending parents a project letter concerning the baby’s name with details on how the family can help the student accomplish the assignment. It provides parents an avenue to share details on the name’s origin and information pertaining day the kid was born. The exercise helps broaden the kid’s knowledgebase on their names and how they came about.
Homework’s Tradition Importance
Studies have shown consistently that the involvement of parents in a kid’s learning process plays a huge role in the kid’s academic achievement. Further assignment helps students in a variety of ways, and these include:
- Reinforcement of concepts, skills, and information studied in school.
- Preparation of learners for upcoming topical issues in class
- Homework enforces student independence and the cultivation of self-discipline.
- Homework also encourages learners to take responsibility and initiative in completing assignments.
- Parents get an opportunity to play a crucial role in their kid’s learning through homework, where they can assist in evaluating the kid’s progress.
- Homework offers a perfect conduit between what students learn in school and their lives beyond school.
Assignments should be meaningful and varied and not just a routine practice, and because of this, it is essential to use certain aids to help in the administration of homework and the learning process.
Encourage the use of mascots, journal, and its sleepover bag to boost authentic writing when it comes to assignments. Send the mascot to the student’s homes and equip the students with a camera for photographing the visit.
To sharpen problem-solving and math skills, send the students home with math games so that they can indulge their siblings or parents. You can also provide game boards for game nights with the family, such as scrabble and Boggle. Students hardly realize they are sharpening their problem solving, reading, counting, etc., while having fun.
You can use leveled books or textbooks to help students sharpen their reading skills.
Homework translates to a crucial period where you reflect and make connections on friends, self, family, familiar information besides information on the world beyond. The type of assignment you give your students will inform their levels of brilliance in their academic journey. It’s important to remember to prioritize quality over quantity.